In addition to winning back the presidency in 2020, progressives must work to flip the Senate to a Democratic majority and maintain the majority in the House. Here are some strategic campaigns you can donate to. No contribution is too small! If you can’t contribute yourself (or even if you can), share these links with people you know.
- Trish Zornio, Colorado, Senate: There are no scientists on the U.S. Senate science committee! Zornio, a 33-year-old scientist, can rectify that. She’s running against Republican Cory Gardner, who opposes abortion rights and gay marriage. Twist: Democrat John Hickenlooper dropped out of the presidential race and announced he would run for Senate … but Trish has already been putting in the hard work. Ain’t that just like a man to step all over a woman’s project.
- J.D. Scholten, Iowa, Congress: He’s opposing white supremacist Steve King in Iowa’s 4th Congressional District. King is the charmer who recently said the human race wouldn’t exist if it weren’t for rape and incest and therefore women who survive such assaults should be forced to carry their rapists’ babies to term. King is a damn Nazi. Help get him out of there.
- Amy McGrath, Kentucky, Senate: Long before Trump became president, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell was using obstruction to block qualified Supreme Court candidates and create a far-right court. His other sins are too numerous to mention here, but we wouldn’t be fighting for democracy if it weren’t for him. Contribute to his opponent.
- Sara Gideon, Maine, Senate: Gideon is running for senate against Republican Susan Collins, who pretended she was having qualms, but ultimately helped vote in Brett “I LIKE BEER” Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court.
- Dan McCready, North Carolina, Congress: North Carolina’s 9th Congressional District has a special election on September 10 after the results of a 2018 election were thrown out due to allegations of voter fraud committed by Republicans. That doesn’t happen too often, especially in a state as gerrymandered as North Carolina, so you know it was bad.
- Jaime Harrison, South Carolina, Senate: Harrison is opposing Lindsey Graham. Enough said.
Election Security Donation Bonus: We already know Russia is interfering in our elections again. Voter suppression is another threat to a fair vote. Stacey Abrams, the former Democratic candidate for governor of Georgia, has launched Fair Fight 2020 to build voter protection teams across the country and protect our right to vote.