I’ve got a limited number of my sterling-silver emoji earrings left. Ten of those depict hand gestures; they’re sold as single studs that you can mix and match. Through Sunday, June 16, at 11:59 p.m. ET, I will donate $10 from each $35 purchase of a single stud to your choice of She Should Run or Vote Mama. Here are the available styles:
Here are the style names and links to more photos and shopping options. If there is no link, email info at wendybrandes dot com for assistance:
- Top row: Sign of the horns, punching fist, ASL “I love you,” shaka (hang loose)
- Middle row: West side, East side, raised hand, okay sign
- Bottom row: Thumbs up, peace sign
For size perspective, here is the silver peace-sign stud on my right-hand (and right-ear) woman Eryn.
For more size perspective, look at the awesome gif of four gold earrings on a single ear that Nylon magazine did for me years ago. Just remember this is for size perspective only. The gold earrings aren’t available and you can’t shop through Nylon.
- These sterling-silver studs are sold as singles, not pairs.
- If you want a pair, order two.
- If the website won’t let you order two, it means I only have one left.
- You can indicate your choice of She Should Run or Vote Mama in the notes during checkout.
- If the website gives you any trouble (we’re doing work on the back-end as usual), email info at wendybrandes dot com for assistance
- I deliver outside the U.S. to countries that allow the import of jewelry. Not all of them do!
- Go to the bottom of this post for answers to other frequently asked, but more complicated, questions.
I’m doing all this on the spur of the moment because I’m so offended by Joe Biden’s finger.
Told Biden we need someone stronger on reproductive justice, and after his reversal on the Hyde Amendment, we asked him to protect assault survivors. He said “nobody has spoken about it, done more, or changed more than I have”. I told him we deserve better. pic.twitter.com/YDtS4Ehs2d
— K.C. (@thelocalmaniac8) June 11, 2019
I’m also offended by what he said, obviously, but I don’t have any jewelry in stock right now that says, “YOU LIE!” I do have earrings that depict fingers, though. Jebus! We’ve already been tormented by Bernie’s finger and Trump’s finger …
… and now this? From a two-time presidential-race loser? I’d like to see a woman with his candidacy history AND an overly aggressive finger be called “electable,” and I’m not even getting into the 1994 crime bill and Supreme Court woman-hater Clarence Thomas.
Biden’s peak was as Obama’s endearing sidekick in memes. I loved him as a meme. But as a candidate, …
That said, I’m a practical person. In the general election, I’ll vote for the Democrat. Period. I don’t have a “[MY CANDIDATE] or bust” attitude. When I started a new Indivisible activist chapter last month, I included “no ego” on our list of core values. That means (among other things) that if your favorite candidate doesn’t make it to the finish line, you don’t get to sulk and sabotage. I am committed to following my own rules, so if a hair-sniffing, finger-pointing, creepy uncle overcomes more qualified women to be the Democratic presidential candidate, I will bust my ass to get him elected. Better him than a pussy-grabbing, finger-pointing, creepy dad, grifting, aspiring lifetime dictator.
Until that moment, I’m working for a superior outcome for 2020 and beyond. I’m always reminding people that elections at all levels matter. The most power you have as a voter may very well be in local and state elections, especially because where do you think national politicians get their start? Locally! She Should Run and Vote Mama are ways to help get good people into office.
Because not everyone is familiar with the realities of small-business manufacturing, I’ll give you the answers to questions I’m frequently asked. (You get to figure out the questions yourself. It’s like Jeopardy!)
- I am not Walmart and I did not produce these earrings in lots of 100,000 units overseas for a price of, say, 50 cents per stud. I promise I will not be rolling in dough after you purchase.
- I made these earrings in New York in lots of no more than 10 at a time. I will lose money on these donations, once I take into account labor, packaging, and other costs beyond the earrings themselves.
- Fuck it, I’m doing it anyway, because less than $10 seemed miserly.
- The donation is contingent upon purchase because I am not a multi-billion-dollar conglomerate with a division devoted to tax-savvy philanthropy. While I donate from my personal funds to a wide range of organizations, every cent in my business account is needed to pay the business-related bills. (This is a hard one, so I’ll give you the Jeopardy! question: “Why don’t you just write a check?”)
- There are a total of 49 individual earrings remaining in these 10 styles, so if all are sold, the maximum combined contribution would be $490.
- I frequently offer donation-opportunities based on sales because that’s one of the things that got me excited to have my own business in the first place. (Jewelry is my second career.) I thought, “I could do that whenever the hell I wanted to!”
- This other donation offer is still good through June 22, but it now excludes the 10 earring styles listed above.
- You’ll know the donation is made because …
- The kind of receipt depends on the organization. I like to donate in honor of the individual customer, so you get a receipt directly from the organization, but that isn’t always best for a particular organization’s legal/accounting requirements. In that case, I’ll have my own lump-sum receipt, which I will happily show you, Joan Collins-style.
- She Should Run donations are tax-deductible (for me) but donations to Vote Mama, through ActBlue, are not. You should choose which organization you genuinely prefer; I truly don’t care.
- Of course, you can donate directly to She Should Run and/or Vote Mama yourself!
Remember, it’s nice to leave a tip, if you can!