Yesterday, I went to Washington, D.C., with thousands of other activists to demand that the Senate hold a fair and lawful impeachment trial with witnesses and evidence. I was one of 40 people arrested on the steps of the U.S. Capitol.
Before moving to the Capitol building, we’d held a silent, walking vigil in the Hart Senate Building.
View this post on Instagram
This is the silent walking protest from the #hartsenatebuilding before we moved on to the Capitol yesterday … it was really amazing for so many people to be so quiet. #swarmthesenate #swarmthecapitol #removetrump #impeachandremove #wewantwitnesses #nomorecoverup #arrestthemall #impeachbarr #impeachkavanaugh @remove_trumpnow @refusefascism @poorpeoplescampaign @popdemoc @bytheppl @indivisibleteam @womensmarch
You don’t have to get arrested tomorrow (Friday, Jan. 31) but if you are able to, you should participate in By the People’s national day of action to demand that our government abide by the rule of law.
Of course, not everyone has the time/money/physical ability to participate in certain types of activism, or even to do much activism at all. That’s part of what inspires me to do as much as I personally can — because I know I’m lucky that I have to capacity to get out there and represent many people. But this is a key moment and we all need to step up and speak out. Here are two things everyone can do:
(1) Every single one of us must call our senators’ offices and tell them — with all the passion we have — how important this moment is. Yes, even if you have Democratic senators. You have to call and urge them on (or tell them how furious you are, depending on what news breaks at what time). Tell them what it means to you and the country and the whole concept of democracy if a president can place himself above the law!
- Find your senators’ phone numbers here.
- Can’t call during business hours? Use Resistbot 24/7 to email your senators by texting RESIST to 50409. Resistbot works via Facebook Messenger, Twitter DM, and Telegram too. (And you can also make calls through Resistbot; it will connect you to the right phone numbers)
(2) Reach out to your connections/friends/family/frenemies/etc. in other states.
- Share By the People’s website so folks can find a local action.
- Help your people contact their senators: Teach them about Resistbot, look up their senators’ phone numbers for them, help them create a script for their call or email.
Shout-out to the great organizers of these and other mobilizations, including but not limited to: