I had the ultimate tour of San Francisco today thanks to two gorgeous bloggers.
Annie of Poetic & Chic:
- Showed me around the city in a zip car.
- Invited me to her lovely apartment, where I admired the beautiful jackets she is working on for her Etsy shop.
- Treated me to a drink at a fancy hot chocolate place. (I had Chocolate Thai Iced Tea. She had Spicy Hot Chocolate.)
- Took me window shopping on Fillmore and, like ENC and K-Line, tried to convince me that EVERY color goes with navy. I still feel dubious about this.
- Finished up our part of the day with a glass of white wine.
I foolishly neglected to have someone take a picture of us in our coordinated Target tops (hers by Thakoon and mine by Temperley) before Annie put me on a bus and sent me to Mai of Fashionist. Mai is a street-style photographer, so I surprised her in a boring way when I showed up in jeans and a Target sweater. But, as I told her, my daytime style effort is limited to the wearing of red lipstick, heels and jewelry. I don’t put much effort into what falls in between those items.
Despite my appearance, Mai gave me a tour of the Mission neighborhood and:
- Brought me to her apartment where we played Boggle while waiting to get to the top of the list at nearby Mission Street Food. The restaurant is more like a happening that takes over a Chinese restaurant on Thursday and Saturday nights. Profits are donated to charity, and local chefs serve great food very inexpensively. Last night, the chefs were from Nopa, which is the very hot restaurant we tried and failed to get a reservation at the night before.
- Took me to Bi-Rite Creamery for the salted caramel ice cream.
- Took me to the Receiver Gallery to see the pleasantly perverted work of the artist Porous Walker. While Mai was buying a piece of art, a guy walked over and politely handed me a silver dollar. I’m not sure if it was the artist or just a dude who likes to share the joy of silver dollars, but either way, I’ll save it as a souvenir.
Mai and Karen, one of the folks behind Mission Street Food
Detail of a Porous Walker work made with hundreds (thousands?) of plastic toys
I’m thinking Annie and Mai should start the Annie & Mai San Francisco Tour Agency. If they do, make sure to book early. They’re going to be more popular than Nopa.
UPDATED TO ADD: Check out Annie’s photo of me in the Target sweater here.
hi awesome quick poster! you are so efficient. it was very fun to hang out and walk around the mission with you this evening. come back soon!
pretty face says
Aah sounds like you’re having a great time. And I just read Annie’s post, high-larious.
So, how’s the weather? Suitably California-esque?
Sharon Rose says
Hi there-Fabulous food and a fabulous evening, great going my dear!
It certainly sounds like you had a great tour. It sounds so cool, I think I want to go up there and hire those girls to show me around!
I love the restaurant story.
Enc and I are very smart. Listen to us! And I love this post. I hope you turn up on Fashionist. That’s a daily read for me…
And salty caramel ice cream sounds like the BEST thing ever.
Sounds like you had a greta time Wendy!!!!
I have always wnated to go to Sf but have merely drive through on the way down to San Diego without stopping. I have SF on my list of places to visit. 🙂
awww, i’m glad you’re having such a nice vacation!
San Francisco is somewhere I would love to go oneday.
Sounds like you had a great time! I really want to travel to San Francisco someday!
Talk about a great trip! Makes me wish I could visit San Fran sometime soon.
Remember if you’re ever in Atlanta, let us know!
Sounds like a great time! There are zip cars all over where I live.
Wow, those ladies sure sound like they know their city and organized a great tour! I’m going to have to bookmark a lot of those places so I can visit them next time I’m in the area.
Dream Sequins says
Hurray for San Francisco! Thanks for sharing the lovely pics! I have to say that I’m pretty low key during the day as well… And even though I write about “Fashion” (with a capital F), my own personal style is pretty low key, esp. since my dayjob is in a conservative office.
Pretty Little Pictures says
Sounds like you had a fabulous time!! I’ve been to SF once for a day trip and loved every minute of it – especially their china town!!
The Clothes Horse says
I too think everything goes with navy–perhaps instead of proving that theory, you could can disprove it–show me a color that DOESN’T go with navy…
I like to think that you were all prepped for the salted caramel ice cream from Bi-Rite because I mentioned it when we were in the zip car…
So glad you had fun! Hope it isn't so long before the next time we get to goof off!
Annie (Ms. P&C)
I cant wait to go back to SF!
Annie, yes, I had it because you had mentioned it!
Oh Wendy- So glad Mai showed you around the nieghborhood she brought you to the coolest venues. I was eating a half a block away Saturday night at the Corner!
Zip car! So smart.
Foxy lady you wear red lipstick!
I don’t know why I’m channelling a foreign accent today, but there you have it.
Glad you had fun in SF.
Word verification: phool.
Yes I am. :0
Poster Girl says
What a fun trip! I love SF, it’s my favorite city for a quick getaway.